PLEASE NOTE: this page is best viewed landscape when viewed on a tablet.
Grayshott in 1552
This map shows how the farming hamlet of Grayshott looked in 1552, based on a survey made by the Bishop of Winchester.
This map of 1794 shows Grayshott as an enclosed settlement with a ring fence – compare it to Headley and Bramshott – a fact supported by archaeology and documents.
This first edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed in 1808, is the earliest detailed view of Grayshott. The location-to-be of Fiveways crossroad is right in the middle of the picture. Kingswood Firs is the blank rectangle at centre bottom, above the word ‘Chase’.
Kingswood Firs on the Bramshott Tithe Map of 1846. The track of Stoney Bottom follows the northern perimeter of the area shown as woodland, from the bottom right, around to Waggoners Wells in the top left.
These maps of 1855 (left) and 1909 (right) show the identical area of Grayshott Hall and Bulls Farm before and after enclosure. The stately-home economy of Grayshott Hall meant that dozens of people had income and security derived from the Whitakers’ international trade rather than subsistence farming.
BACK TO TOP