News & Events

2019 Friends’ Evenings – Dates

The Autumn evening is scheduled for 22nd October at the Village Hall, the theme being Grayshott in 1939. Meanwhile if anyone has suggestions for future evenings, or how we can improve things, please get in touch through the Contact page.

Guided Walks

We plan to hold two guided walk later this year. We will have a repeat of the Village Tree Walk, probably some time towards late September or early October, as the autumn colours start to turn (about 1 1/2 miles around the village centre). We are also considering ‘A Walk on the Wild Side’, which will be an energetic scramble through some of our ancient woodland, to look at its archeaology and nature. This will definitely be ‘off-road’ – up and down the side of the hanger, across a stream and maybe a swamp or two. Probably sometime towards late August. As usual, they are free but places are limited; if you are interested please get in touch through the Contact page and we’ll set a date once we can guage interest.

New Find – A Victorian Ordnance Survey Map

One of our members has shown us a wonderful Ordnance Survey map of Grayshott, which was surveyed in 1869. In due course we hope to make high-resolution scans so we can put the entire map onto this site. Meanwhile we’ve picked out a few places of interest, such as the area of the village centre, below.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This closer view shows the area of what was to become Grayshott village centre.

The dash-dot line running from top right diagonally to the bottom is the county boundary, Surrey is to the right. Its middle portion – the third side to the triangle of Headley Road and Crossways Road – is our Boundary Road. In the 16th century this line across the open heath, between the heads of Whitmoor and Stoney Bottoms, was marked by a row of oak trees. Most of this triangle had been bought by James Baker of Pitfold, a land speculator. At the bottom right can be seen the cottage of John and Mary Lawrence (spelled Lurance then), built around 1809 but including older remains, and is now Yew Tree Cottage. The county boundary ran right through their garden, with the house just on the Surrey side.

For more pictures please see the full feature on the New Finds page.

Some New Articles

Residents of Grayshott may have seen our series of articles in Grayshott Today magazine. For those further afield, we are putting them onto our website on a new page called Grayshott Through the Ages.

Latest Loss – The Golden Hind

The latest building to succumb is the Golden Hind Cafe at Hindhead, more recently known as Cooper Brothers furniture shop. Time and decades of pounding from recent traffic had taken its toll, and the building was sadly beyond economic repair. It was demolished in May 2018

The ‘Golden Hind’ café 1920's

The ‘Golden Hind’ café north of the crossroads in the 1920s, one of the many such establishments along the A3.

 

Latest Newsletter: Number GH16, June 2019

FRIENDS’ EVENINGS:
Our first evening of 2019, a Grayshott Heritage Pub Quiz at the Fox and Pelican, was a great success and enjoyed by over 40 friends.  Thanks to the Fox & Pelican for hosting the event, Ann Myers for the raffle, Jan Bebbington & friends for cakes and not forgetting some great questions from John Childs and Richard Peskett.

The Autumn Friends’ Evening will be on Tuesday October 22nd in the Village Hall and the theme will be ‘Grayshott in 1939‘.  This evening will incorporate our AGM.

HUNTINGTON HOUSE VISIT:
We are planning a visit to Huntington House but await a date from the owners.  Huntington House is one of the substantial original local houses and grounds, now restored.  The visit will comprise of a tour of the restored house, a walk around the grounds followed by refreshments.  As soon as a date is confirmed we will contact you with further details.

THE FOX AND PELICAN CELEBRATES 120 YEARS:
On August 23rd this year the Fox and Pelican will be celebrating 120 years of serving the village with suitable refreshments.  We hope to produce a small booklet about the history of the pub to mark this occasion.  Our regular feature in ‘Grayshott Today’ in the September issue will also be about the pub.  We hope the pub that will celebrate its birthday in a suitable fashion and will let you know further details when they become available.

WEBSITE / NEW FINDS:
Please take time to look at our website https://grayshottheritage.com/, there is often news and new items of interest to look at.  Also, we would be very pleased to receive any offers of articles and other suitable news, finds etc. that can be included.

We have just acquired, from eBay, an original indenture dated 1812 regarding land at Bulls Farm. This is one of the oldest original documents we know of outside Hampshire Records Office. We will put it on the website soon.

We continue our regular monthly presence in ‘Grayshott Today’, highlighting a different aspect of Grayshott history every month.

GH COMMITTEE:
We are pleased to welcome Helen Vyner as our new representative from the Parish Council.  Ann Myers, the previous representative, has retired after 18 years on the Parish Council but we are very pleased that she has decided to continue as a member of Grayshott Heritage committee.

We are still looking for someone to help us by taking minutes at our meetings.  Please contact us if you can help, we would love to hear from you.

GRAYSHOTT HERITAGE WALKS:
John Childs led a very interesting tree walk around the village on Sunday 26th May as part of Hidden Gardens.  He and his wife Annie also produced a beautiful “Grayshott Village Tree Walk” booklet which was funded by Hidden Gardens of Grayshott.  The booklet is available free of charge at several village shops, the Post Office and the Fox & Pelican.  It has a map, which is easy to follow, for a self-guided walk around the village.

John is planning to do another tree walk in the autumn if there is enough interest. There are also plans for ‘A Walk on the Wild Side’, an energetic scramble around some hidden corners of our woods to explore their nature and history.  Please contact John Childs through our website to register interest in either of these walks: https://grayshottheritage.com/contact/

UNDERSHAW (STEPPING STONES SCHOOL) HINDHEAD:
Following an introduction from Huntington House, Richard Peskett has met with Lizzy Butler (Public Relations, Stepping Stones School) at Undershaw.  They are keen to become more involved with the local community and there are plans for them to host an evening on local history open to our Friends and other local residents.  We hope that through this contact we will be able to become more involved with Hindhead and its history.  We will update you on developments.

Richard Peskett, (Chairman)

Tel: 01428 604862

richard.peskett@btinternet.com

Liz Cross (Friends’ Secretary)

01428 607169

eacross@hotmail.com